The Altgeld Murray public housing site was built in 1944 on the far south side of Chicago as one of the United States’ first public housing developments. As one of the first, though the early 21st century showed that the development needed a new master plan to reduce isolation and balance housing, transportation, human services, and parks and recreation — essentially, a better way to utilize the area and its resources. KOO was part of the planning team and community process, and worked with Chicago Housing Authority, Altgeld Gardens community members, and multiple sister agencies — including the Chicago Public Schools, Chicago Transit Authority, Chicago Park District, Cook County Forest Preserve, and numerous other stakeholders — to develop the new master plan. The result was a plan that introduced a green boulevard and continuous bike path to help encourage greater connectivity to the community at large, provide a clear circulation artery through a circuitous and often-confusing system of streets, and provide a direct connection to the forest preserve and other natural resources of the area, including the Calumet River.
LOCATION: Chicago, IL
CLIENT: Chicago Housing Authority
55 W. Wacker Dr.
Chicago, IL 60601