A pillar of the Illinois Medical District on Chicago’s Near West Side, and a monument to the vital role that public hospitals play in providing medical care to all those in need, the Old Cook County Hospital has at long last been given a second life. Built in 1913-1916 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006, the former hospital that spans two city blocks sat vacant and neglected for nearly 20 years. Its massive $140 million rehabilitation and redevelopment, led by Civic Health Development Group, has completely revived the 1913 Beaux-Arts building and created a mixed-use complex that includes a 210-room Hyatt hotel, Cook County medical office space, a food hall and day care. The adaptive use project is especially astounding given the size of the facility and the degree of the former hospital building’s deterioration. The long-threatened building (included four times on the Landmarks Illinois Most Endangered Historic Places in Illinois) will now provide economic activity, jobs and a much needed respite for staff and visitors in the medical district.
Development Team: Civic Health Development Group
- John Murphy, Murphy Development Group
- Walsh Investors
- MB Real Estate
- Plenary Group
General Contractor: Walsh Construction
- Wiss, Janey, Elstner Associates
- Engage Civil Inc.
- Rubinos & Mesia Engineers Inc.
Historic Preservation Consultant: MacRostie Historic Advisors LLC